Spokane Riverkeeper is dedicated to protecting and restoring the health of the Spokane River Watershed. The Spokane Riverkeeper River Partners Program celebrates the value added to our community and economy by the Spokane River. Quality of life and the health of the economy and local businesses are related to the health of the environment. The River Partners Program provides an opportunity for businesses to become involved with the Riverkeeper program and increases the community awareness of the integral role of the Spokane River to our city. The program helps broaden and diversify the support base for Spokane Riverkeeper and creates an attitude of community stewardship towards the Spokane River. Businesses who join the Spokane Riverkeeper River Partners Program sign a pledge agreeing to the following statements:
- A healthy, swimmable and fishable Spokane River is good for our local community and our economic environment.
- Accessing and recreating on the river is an important part of the cultural and economic life of our community.
- Respecting other river users and holding professional standards with respect to health and safety of those who live, play and work on the river is a priority.
- Adopting water friendly business practices is an essential part of conducting business.
- We are committed to keeping out river clean and safe, respecting the contributions a healthy river makes to our community.
- We will connect the customers we serve with the health and beauty of our river and conduct business in a manner that demonstrates respect for the Spokane River.
In addition to signing this pledge, program members are connected with other Riverkeeper partners and receive media exposure for their businesses at Riverkeeper events as well as regular Riverkeeper updates.
Spokane businesses who are among the first to participate in the program include Numerica Credit Union, Silver Bow Fly Shop, FLOW Adventures, Kizuri, Ammonite Ink, and River City Brewing. Members have the opportunity to engage with the Riverkeeper program in four different areas:
- Financial Engagement (the giving of monetary resources)
- Policy/Program Support (includes attending meetings and signing on to letters)
- River Healthy Practices (adopting policies that favor the Spokane River)
- Volunteer/Time (participating in Riverkeeper events including the river clean-up)
The wellbeing of the environment is directly linked to wellbeing of the economy and the community in general. Jake Krummel, the Downtown Market Manager for Spokane Numerica Credit Union, stated that “The health of our local watersheds has a direct impact on the health of our community and our local environment. The advocacy and education efforts of the Spokane Riverkeeper showcase the importance of keeping our river clean, and are something Numerica is proud to support.” Participating in the Riverkeeper River Partners Program is an excellent way to protect the Spokane River, grow a business and contribute to increasing the quality of life in the Spokane community. To become a partner, please contact Jerry White at (509) 835-5211 or Jerry@CforJustice.org.